33% of email recipients decide whether or not to open an email based on subject line alone. It is vital to craft subject lines that are compelling enough to get users to click through.
We have just started working with a new client which is solely based on email marketing campaigns, so we thought it was only right to share our insight of the tips we use to draft open worthy subject lines.
They may seem like a small part of your message, but they’re the very first impression you have to your email recipients. You want them to stand out in a crowded inbox!
- Keep it short and snappy – Subject lines will be cut off if they’re too long. As 40% of emails are opened on a mobile device first, we recommend subject lines with a 30 character limit.
- Convey a sense of urgency – Urgency is a tried and tested tactic. Phrases like “limited time offer” or “one day sale” encourage your readers to act now. Using urgent language so your audience feels as though they must open your email straight away, or they will miss out.
- Engage with questions – Asking a question is a good way to get a response from the reader. They don’t have to be difficult questions, for example – “Are you looking for a handbag at a decent price?” The nature of asking a question gives the reader curiosity to click and find out the answer.
- Put yourself in the recipients’ shoes – Consider which types of subject lines would turn you away, and avoid using them. You should make it your goal to engage your readers with clear subject lines that communicate the valuable information they seek is only a click away.
- Split test – What we have found recently is that split testing your subject lines can work out what’s best for your specific audience. It may be tempting to predict what may work, but to improve open rates you should constantly be testing and tweaking wording.
By following these key tips we have outlined above, you can start to explore subject line to find what works for your audience. If you start analysing what’s effective and what’s not, you can be on your way to engaging subscribers with intelligent subject lines.
If you would like to speak to one of our experts please contact us today on 01785 247588 or click here.